Monday 19 February 2018

Posts by BB participants - Hayley Tackett

Hi my name is Hayley and I’m 20 years old, but my story starts way before right now. 

As a baby I was very sick and my knees dislocated since before I could even walk with no explanation. I’ve had 6 surgeries to correct that as I’ve grown through the years. At the age of 13 I was diagnosed with Endometriosis, and two years later another major tragedy seemed to strike. I was have major hip pain, that nobody could explain besides telling me it was all probably in my head and that I just wanted attention(all of this while I was in the hospital for a month). 

At 15 (almost 16) they said they were going to send psych in and probably have me committed. Soon after 3 am someone came in my dark room, and said he didn’t even need to examine me; that he already knew what was wrong. I look at my dad like “Here we go!” And as my dad started to shut him down. The doctor said “Hold on, let me explain. I’m a rheumatologist, and your daughter has Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis and that has been what she’s been dealing with her whole entire life, that’s why everything dislocates.” That’s what I got for my 16th birthday, someone that finally believed me and knew I wasn’t lying!! 

Still 4 years later, were looking for the proper medications for me, I’ve been on over 27 different arthritis medications throughout the years. Currently I’m on infusions of Remicade (chemo) and a high dose of steroids every 4 weeks, as well as methotrexate shots weekly. Plus all of my other 17 meds. 

And I’m going to be a camp counselor for kiddos with chronic illnesses this summer. To show them that your illness doesn’t own you. I also run a support group with almost 200 members on Facebook. Without all of this, I wouldn’t be who I am today!